 Off-Topic / Debate / 10431
Re: What makes a cool kid cool? (can this get any more blue-sky and ridiculous?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 12 May 2001 08:16:53 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:

In lugnet.lego.direct, Tim Courtney writes:
[...] Don't you think that those owners suffer poor self esteem
because they never get nominated CLSOTW?

I think it must happen some, yes, and that's a probably a downside.  CLSotW
isn't specifically marketed at masses of kids, though, so I'm not too
worried.

Oh?  And who recovers from bad feelings faster, adults or children?  If you think
adults, you need to rethink it.  The older a person gets, the easier it seems to be to
retain and intensify bad (or good, luckily) emotions.

i.e., Lugnet can probably be said to be doing more damage with CLSOTW than Lego with
CoolKids.

Pot.  Kettle.  Black.

[...]
I see a surprising similarity between this article - in which I wholeheartedly
agree with the author - and the ideas presented here about the negative impact a
section 'Cool Kids' will have on every kid not mentioned's self esteem.

The competitive nature of the area is there regardless of the name.  I don't
have any problem with that.  I'm just saying I think the _name_ is poorly
chosen...and I don't think LEGO consulted with child psychologists before
picking the name.  That upsets me more than I'd like to admit it does.

Todd, I hope you never have kids.  If you do, I'm going to feel really sorry for them
when the real world smacks them in the face and they can't handle it.  Depending on
how badly you smother them, that could be as late as the college years, which would
make them in for a SERIOUSLY rude shock.

I can't stand people that want to milksop the entire world for the benefit of their
kids (or others), because "kids shouldn't have to deal with that".  YES, THEY SHOULD.
It's called LIFE, and they'd better get used to it.  They won't have you people to
hold their hands their entire lives (unless they legislate it all.  If they do, I'm
leaving the country for good).

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/