 Off-Topic / Debate / 10379
Re: What makes a cool kid cool? (was: Re: A new area of LEGO.com: the Build section)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2001 18:32:26 GMT

Tim Courtney wrote:

<sarcasm>
We shouldn't be able to celebrate something or someone exceptional because there
are many more people/things out there which are not up to that standard and that
puts them in a negative light.

Good post Tim, IMHO there is nothing wrong with a bit of healthy competition, in
fact I think it is essential in many ways otherwise kids are going to be in for a
big shock when they leave the nest and enter the real world. Ok, so it's only Lego,
but play is an important part of growing up, and on the flip side, seeing people
doing better than you can be very motivating.

For the record, I did lose a Lego competition held by a shop as a kid, and I was
pretty cheesed off for at least half an hour, but psychologically damaged? Nah. I
had made a tractor with cool mechanical functions that looked pretty bad, the
winner had made an oil rig with no mechanical functions that looked great. I reckon
I learned a valuable lesson that day ;-)

Jennifer Clark