 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2526
Re: A new area of LEGO.com: the Build section
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2001 04:25:13 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Kevin Loch writes:
It is refreshing to read candid (i.e. not press release) posts from
LEGO employees.  Try not to make it so painful for them.

I share your viewpoint, to a large extent.  Question:  Are you suggesting
that it is wrong to post a follow-up asking whether a particular portion of
a post was an official statement or a personal statement??

I would love to see TLC officially recognize juniorization as an issue for
some people.  But as you illustrate, it prolly just ain't gonna happen.

Now, since Tomas's announcement was posted in a very official manner
(official title in sig, official lego.com email address, posted in a group
specifically created for official TLC announcements, and it announced new
features on the official website bullet by bullet), it begged the question.
I don't think I should be sorry at all that I asked -- and I'm grateful that
Tomas took a few moments to clarify what he meant.

Who cares if juniorizaion is an "official" issue?

Well, I care! -- at least to the extent that, if I knew they were
acknowledging it and maybe trying to cut down on it, I could hold out hope
for better product lines in the future.

Thank God for LEGO Direct and the promise of mass customization.  It will
save the company.

Everyone, including LEGO
knows what it is, why they did it, who told them to do it and what effect
it has had on sales and brand image.

Why would you expect them to want to admit/discuss that "officially"?

Heh, well, I certainly wouldn't *expect* them to.  It's worth asking about,
of course, especially when the word is used in an official post.  I sure
wouldda been pretty surprised (pleasantly) if the answer had been yes, but
that doesn't mean I'd assume no -- certainly not with all the great strides
that LEGO Direct has made and is continuing to pave the way for.

What kind of press release would that be? It's an embarrasing footnote in LEGO
history and I can see why they don't want to talk about it.

I sure hope down the road that it's only a footnote.  Today it rather still
seems (to me) like it's an increasing trend over the past six years.

I certainly wouldn't like it if people kept bringing up my most painful
mistakes again and again.

Are you implying that juniorization is TLC's most painful mistake?  (I'd be
hard pressed to disagree, and I'm mostly curious what you mean by that.)

--Todd

[xfut => lugnet.general]