 Off-Topic / Debate / 10404
Re: What makes a cool kid cool? (was: Re: A new area of LEGO.com: the Build section)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 11 May 2001 02:20:29 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Tim Courtney writes:
[...] Don't you think that those owners suffer poor self esteem
because they never get nominated CLSOTW?

I think it must happen some, yes, and that's a probably a downside.  CLSotW
isn't specifically marketed at masses of kids, though, so I'm not too
worried.

[...]
I see a surprising similarity between this article - in which I wholeheartedly
agree with the author - and the ideas presented here about the negative impact a
section 'Cool Kids' will have on every kid not mentioned's self esteem.

The competitive nature of the area is there regardless of the name.  I don't
have any problem with that.  I'm just saying I think the _name_ is poorly
chosen...and I don't think LEGO consulted with child psychologists before
picking the name.  That upsets me more than I'd like to admit it does.

--Todd