 Off-Topic / Debate / 10471
Re: What makes a cool kid cool? (can this get any more blue-sky and ridiculous?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 14 May 2001 13:54:27 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
Todd Lehman wrote:
You're holding TLG to a standard that you ignore yourself, no matter
how fine YOU seem to want to split hairs to get away with it.

So you agree then that what TLG is doing with the name "Cool Kids" is
potentially damaging?

Not at all.  You're the one that is setting the standard here (for TLG,
while ignoring it yourself).

A bit of history here might help...

"Cool LEGO Site of the Week" was named that back in 1996 when there were
tons and tons of "Cool Abcdefg (type) of the Wxyz (timeframe)" sites popping
up all over the Web.  I think the first site was "Cool Site of the Day" back
in 1994 -- it spawned hundreds of similar-sounding resources.  Given the
whole history of "Cool x of the y" sites and their continued proliferation,
I don't feel that the name "Cool LEGO Site of the Week" per se is damaging.
I also can't help thinking that the name "Cool Kids" (focusing on the person
and not the creation) and www.lego.com's target market puts it in a
completely different ballpark -- or, to use another analogy, it seems like
comparing apples and oranges to me.  Yeah, they're both fruit, but pretty
different.

Notwithstanding, I do think there might be aspects of CLSotW other than the
pure name which may cause unnecessary psychological damage to folks.  I
don't know what all those aspects are, but as I've been thinking about this
based on the points you've raised, I'm beginning to wonder if the subtitle
"Showcasing the finest from LEGO fans around the world" should come out or
be tweaked, or if some disclaimer should be added that says that it's all in
good fun and shouldn't be taken too seriously.

Personally, I think you take this WAY too seriously.  Kids shouldn't be
coddled so much.

Well, like I said, this bothers me more than I'd like to admit...  And I'm
neither a psychologist nor a parent, so my concern isn't necessarily
warranted in the first place.  (I guess I came across as overly obnoxious as
well.)

What bothers me most, I think, is that it's simply not something I ever
expected to see from a company like LEGO.  It just underscores once for me
again that, for better or for worse, marketing is more imporant to LEGO than
the traditional values I once thought it held.

--Todd