 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2499
Re: A new area of LEGO.com: the Build section
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2001 18:03:11 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

hanks to everyone for the positive comments! Here are
some answers to various people's questions:

In lugnet.lego.direct, Mark Papenfuss writes:
So Tomas, what are the 84 colors????? We will get to when
you are going to sell them in bulk at a later time, first
things first :) hehehe.

Yes, I hope we'll eventually get to what exactly the
colors are... I think the 84 was colors currently in
production -- it might be colors that you can currently
get in sets that are on sale but I doubt that. I'll have
to ask Redini. As a couple people pointed out, there are
something like 100+ colors over the history of LEGO? I
think LDraw uses 104? It's a slightly confusing subject.

In lugnet.lego.direct, Paul Gyugyi writes:
(In other words, don't focus only on the technic and
model team themes).

Definitely. We're aware that our first issue was skewed
a little bit towards slightly "older" lines like Technic,
Mindstorms, the model cars, etc. but we're going to try
and cover a broad range.

In lugnet.lego.direct, Kevin Loch writes:
I also noticed the poll uses the "time frame" categories
I had not seen in public before.  Is there any chance you
could publish the entire product tree (for each year) so
sites like LUGNET could more accurately categorize
themes/subthemes etc.?

Those "time frame" categories aren't used officially. We
just made them up as an alternate way of grouping many of
the themes and product lines into a small number of
"meta-themes" for easy voting in the poll. Which just goes
to show that there are lots of ways you could categorize
all the sets. There are some "product trees" floating
around, some spanning many years (like the evolution of
trains) so we may get into that as long as we can present
it in a coherent and understandable way. Also, a lot of
the internal product categories are based on how things
were marketed more than their structural/design relationship
to each other, although there's often a good correlation
between the two. So personally speaking, I'm not sure
there is one "master" tree that would be suitable for all
purposes. Do people want to see something like that, or
closer to that?

In lugnet.lego.direct, Todd Lehman writes:
Are you taking requests for other old sets?
Yep! Request noted.

Does this mean that LEGO now officially acknowledges
"juniorization" and officially recognizes that it is an
issue for some people?

No, it means that Tomas Clark recognizes that it's an issue
for some people and one that is frequently discussed on
Lugnet. AFAIK there's no official company pronouncement on
juniorization. Of course there have been posts by LEGO
employees (like Ashley Glennon's post from 6 months ago)
about juniorization, but that wasn't an official press
release either. There are plenty of shades of gray between
a press release and a personal "not the opinion of my
employer" comment on a subject. Please resist natural urge
to blow minor references out of proportion.

In lugnet.lego.direct, Rose Regner writes:
Where did you get the time capsule model photos? Are they
old stock or new photos taken for the web site. Any
interactive picture would really add a lot.

The photos for the Time Capsule came from the historical
archives in Billund. We've been looking into taking new
(non-interactive) photos but obviously that's a bit more
work. What were you thinking as an "interactive picture"?
Something you can click on to get a new visual, like
rotating a model or seeing the box flap move, something
like that?

Tomas Clark
Producer, LEGO Direct

P.S. Remember, requests for Time Capsule, suggestions
of people to profile in the careers area, or Cool Kids,
etc. all welcome.