 Off-Topic / Debate / 10389
Re: What makes a cool kid cool? (was: Re: A new area of LEGO.com: the Build section)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2001 20:25:51 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Tim Courtney writes:

<snip>

I see a surprising similarity between this article - in which I
wholeheartedly agree with the author - and the ideas presented
here about the negative impact a section 'Cool Kids' will have
on every kid not mentioned's self esteem.

Good post, good point, good debate fodder, Tim.

I'm ambivalent, I do think that maybe "cool kids" may be a bit TOO
judgemental... but dodgeball (I was always picked last and usually out first
too) taught me something very valuable: no one can excel at everything, so
pick what you want to be good at, because there are lots and lots of things
to be good at, and those bullies who think they rule the world because they
rule dodgeball CAN be worked around, avoided, or even defeated.

I think going back to one's high school reunion is extremely instructive, it
is interesting to see what washouts some of the golden children that
tormented their "non betters" turned out to be. Too bad you have to wait 10
or 20 years to learn that lesson.

There is nothing "wrong" with being better than others at some things and
worse than others at some things.

Equal rights != Equal opportunity != Equal outcomes. And that's a GOOD
thing. We must demand equal rights where practical but we should actively
shun equal outcomes.

++Lar