 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2527
Re: What makes a cool kid cool? (was: Re: A new area of LEGO.com: the Build section)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2001 06:11:17 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, "Kevin Loch" <kloch@opnsys.com> writes:
I can see a problem with the specific word "cool" (if it means the same
thing today that it did 20 years ago).  I certainly was not "cool" when
I was 8, but that meaning does not fit the context of the LEGO page.
The page doesn't give any indication that the featured persons are
more socially desirable to their peers.

I think it's the special-kid/not-special-kid aspect that rubs me the wrong
way rather than the precise meaning of the word "cool."

The context seems to suggest that the kids did something mildly remarkable,
and are recognized for what they created, not for any intrinsic personal
qualities.

When LEGO Direct announced the area[1], it was described as being "profiles
of amazing kids."  Now, I don't know about you, but to me, that implies
intrinsic personal qualities.  Note that it wasn't described as being
profiles of kids who have done or created amazing things.  To me that's a
fundamental difference.

I'm not a parent -- and, heh, maybe this means I'm not cut out to be one --
but I imagine that if I were a parent, that I'd find the "Cool Kids" area
somewhat offensive and insulting.  Perhaps having been first exposed to the
resource via the phrase "profiles of amazing kids" impaired my ability to
look at it fresh when I viewed the webpage for the first time.

The best thing to do would be to ask some kids how they view that section.
What's their reaction?

That could tell you what kids *think* their reaction is, yes.

But even the reaction, if you could truly know it, isn't necessarily so
relevant as the long-term psychological effects of telling kids that some
kids are more special than they are.

--Todd

[1] http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=2418