 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2512
Re: What makes a cool kid cool? (was: Re: A new area of LEGO.com: the Build section)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 9 May 2001 16:04:49 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Todd Lehman writes:

Labeling someone a "Cool Kid" (which you do several times on your pages) is
something you (collective you -- The LEGO Company) should be ashamed of.
Note that you're not saying that visitors to the "Cool Kids" area are cool,
but that the kids you're worshipping there are cool, with phrases like "Look
up previous Cool Kids" and "This month's Cool Kid" and "More cool kids"
implying that there are only a handful of cool kids -- only the ones that
you select.

I can see a problem with the specific word "cool" (if it means the same
thing today that it did 20 years ago).  I certainly was not "cool" when
I was 8, but that meaning does not fit the context of the LEGO page.
The page doesn't give any indication that the featured persons are
more socially desirable to their peers.

The context seems to suggest that the kids did something mildly remarkable,
and are recognized for what they created, not for any intrinsic personal
qualities.

The best thing to do would be to ask some kids how they view that section.
What's their reaction?