 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2522
Re: What makes a cool kid cool? (was: Re: A new area of LEGO.com: the Build section)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 9 May 2001 23:53:23 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, James Simpson writes:
child's model looks like.  When a child sees that his/her model is only
preferred by 6% of voters, I'm afraid that it could send a hurtful message to
the child; the child will no doubt be proud and excited to see his/her creation
on the web, but I'm not sure that a young child will be able to understand that
only a handful of votes in his/her favor does not mean "nobody likes what I've
made" when he/she is competing with an adult's creation for praise.  Why not

At first, my own reaction to your comment was "Well, then, maybe they could
split it into adults, teenagers and children, or beginner and expert
categories". Until I read the rest of what you posted:

simply have a "Look what these fans have created!" showcase?  Is competition
really that important?  Why even fostor a spirit of competition?  Is that what
the art of Lego is about?  (And in particular, is that the spirit of the Lego
company?  Isn't the Lego philosopy about imagination and creativity rather than
competition?  I may seem to be nitpicking, but I'd say that a nitpick is
appropriate when children's self-esteem can be affected by adult actions.

james

Wow, that's a really good point. I hadn't really thought of it that way, but
you're absolutely right. Why does there need to be a competition (that could
send the wrong message to a young child and end up discouraging them from
future LEGO endeavors).

Brickshelf embodies the same sharing vs. competition spirit; I think you're
right, TLG should basically provide an official Brickshelf.

Mark W.