 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2493
Re: A new area of LEGO.com: the Build section
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2001 23:30:02 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Tomas Clark writes:
As some of you have already noticed, we recently launched a new section of
LEGO.com:
http://www.lego.com/build/

Add me to the list of people who are very impressed with the new section!
Lots of fascinating info just in the first "issue." Perhaps the most
interesting to me, possibly because I was obsessed for so long with finding
this set, was this bit about the 396 Thatcher Perkins set from 1976:

"The American market was calling for a nostalgic locomotive toy, so LEGO
contacted museums in America for photographs and drawings of the classic
Thatcher Perkins, a train that operated on the B&O Railroad starting in
1863. #396 was an expensive set to buy, due to the high cost of research and
permissions required to create it -- so in the end, it did not sell as well
as hoped. The model was built by the LEGO Company's designers using only
pre-existing LEGO elements."

So it was designed for the American market but never sold here? Any chance
that had as much of an affect on sales as the expense? My parents maybe
wouldn't have bought me all those Hobby Sets but I sure would have been
begging for them loudly if I'd known they existed at the time. I had to make
do with the Spirit of St. Louis set, instead. :-) I'll have to dig out the
pieces and rebuild it for the 75th anniversary of the flight.

Doug

Tell us what you think! We're happy to take suggestions for Build features,
interviews, Time Capsule content, and so forth. Just post here or drop me a
line -- or tell Redini, and he'll pass the comments on to us.