 Off-Topic / Debate / 10381
Re: What makes a cool kid cool? (was: Re: A new area of LEGO.com: the Build section)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2001 18:53:08 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jennifer Clark writes:

Good post Tim, IMHO there is nothing wrong with a bit of healthy competition, in
fact I think it is essential in many ways otherwise kids are going to be in for a
big shock when they leave the nest and enter the real world. Ok, so it's only Lego,
but play is an important part of growing up, and on the flip side, seeing people
doing better than you can be very motivating.

Moreover seeing Jennifer doing better than you can be very motivating. Right
I'm off to order a video encoder card, I put the side skirts on my tank last
night and it's looking brilliant and need it's own web site. I'm sure it'll
at least put me on the same continent as regard comparison with Jennifer's
best :-).

For the record, I did lose a Lego competition held by a shop as a kid, and I was
pretty cheesed off for at least half an hour, but psychologically damaged? Nah. I
had made a tractor with cool mechanical functions that looked pretty bad, the
winner had made an oil rig with no mechanical functions that looked great. I reckon
I learned a valuable lesson that day ;-)

Jennifer Clark

Deja Vu

One day I was told of a lego competition at the local church, I simply
scooped up what I had built at the time. Unforunately it was the worst thing
I'd built in a long time, a car ferry. Needless to say I came second to a
worse pile of junk some space thing, at least it was all the same colour.
Anyway at least the sweets we're nice I got for second :-). (I was very
young at the time).

Steve