 Off-Topic / Debate / 10366
Re: What makes a cool kid cool? (was: Re: A new area of LEGO.com: the Build section)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2001 14:30:49 GMT

[...]
When you didn't answer that question but evaded it instead, it seemed like
you hadn't secured it. I made a suggestion that you might want to seek legal
advice if you didn't actually have clear cut rights to do what you were
doing. (which suggestion I got offline mail about from someone at TLC
telling me that in their unofficial opinion I was spot on to ask the
question)  Although it's valid advice that I've seen you give others (for
instance regarding domain names)... your reaction to that was not "thanks",
it was to jump on me.

I jumped on you for insulting Suzanne (it wasn't the first time, and you
know darn well what I'm talking about), for insulting our intelligence, for
questioning our integrity, for acting with an egregiously pompous attitude
(once again), and I asked you to stop worrying about issues that weren't
yours to worry about (once again), and I believe I also asked you who you
the devil you thought you were.

As I recall, when I jumped on you, I was nearly screaming at the top of my
lungs, so my main point -- that I was upset with your attitude and hoping
you would check it at the door in the future -- should have had no trouble
getting across.  I think you heard the message loud and clear, but just
can't bring yourself to accept it.  Maybe you don't want to, I don't know.
So be it.  I don't think this personal issue needs to be dragged out
publicly any further.  We should talk over beer at BrickFest or something.
Some beers would probably help work this out.

Finally, our use of the logo on the DUPLO page is compliant with the rules
of juxtapositioning the LEGO logo next to the DUPLO logo (a change made
sometime around 1998), and we further believe that the usage is also fully
compliant with fair use of the composite logo.  We did write to TLC Legal
long ago and pointed them to that particular page in question, and the
response we received, which included a bit of background about their logo
policy, did not contain instructions to remove the logo or to alter the page
in any way, nor have we been contacted about it again since.  If it were
something TLC had had a real issue with, it would never have appeared there
in the first place.

--Todd