 Off-Topic / Debate / 10394
Re: What makes a cool kid cool? (was: Re: A new area of LEGO.com: the Build section)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2001 21:13:32 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Tim Courtney writes:
"Todd Lehman" <lehman@javanet.com> wrote in message

Labeling someone a "Cool Kid" (which you do several times on your pages) is
something you (collective you -- The LEGO Company) should be ashamed of.
Note that you're not saying that visitors to the "Cool Kids" area are cool,
but that the kids you're worshipping there are cool, with phrases like "Look
up previous Cool Kids" and "This month's Cool Kid" and "More cool kids"
implying that there are only a handful of cool kids -- only the ones that
you select.

Someone else brought this up before (I forget who), but I don't think the site
is saying 'these are the only cool kids,' or 'if you're not up here, you're not
cool.'
lol, was it me? ( http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=2524 ). My post
there says what I would have posted here.

In that sense, isn't the Cool LEGO Site of the Week cruel to other
people who make websites which don't get voted, or to take it a bit further,
sites which are (God forbid I say it) bad?  Don't you think that those owners
suffer poor self esteem because they never get nominated CLSOTW?

Good point! Basically, the core of it is the same thing? Even has the 'cool'
part. I can not recall many (note: I said recall, not saying there has not
been) CLSotWs that have not been heavy in the flashy HTML department, and
with high-level models on it. I understand there is a wide variety up for
the voting, but when I get my sons models up on a prety plain, no fancy html
site, will it stand much of a chance up against a flashy-HTML site with
video and huge buildings or mechs? So am I not cool because I do not know
fancy html? Am I not cool because I will probally never have a CLSotW?
Should I be hurt because of it, nope.

Don't get me wrong -- I think the general idea behind the area is great! --
and the graphic design is beautiful! -- I just think LEGO picked a cruel
name for it.

To an extent, perhaps, but I think you're making too big of a deal out of it.

Ditto, especially when the 'Cool' Lego site is up there front and center on
the main page here.

<snip the excellent debate fodder, if you missed it, go back and find it>
-Tim

I read this on the cool kid page:
"LEGO Cool Kids is a monthly feature highlighting dynamic kids accomplishing
extraordinary things. Cool Kids are creative, hardworking and productive.
Most of all they are constructive... in how they spend their time, what they
accomplish and how they shape their world."
I am assuming kool kids stay off drugs, out of gangs, stuff like that -
sounds good to me. But does it mean if your picture is not up there you do
not have the charisteristics of a cool kid?  No, it does not. Should kids be
hurt that they are not up there, no it does not.
Mark P
mfuss903@aol.com