 Off-Topic / Debate / 10354
Re: What makes a cool kid cool? (was: Re: A new area of LEGO.com: the Build section)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2001 11:37:22 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, "Erin Windross" <e-windross@home.com> writes:
No offense but, for cripes sake man...

Sorry, but I actually couldn't be more serious by those questions.  I think
TLC is making a huge blunder on the name of that.

I think you gave pretty good reasons. Probably would have been better to
call it something like "kids doing cool things" or something like that, to
avoid the implication that some kids are cool and some aren't.

And if the model selection is retained (which itself is arguable that it
ought not to be) the voting process similarly ought to be changed to an
anonymous one in which the final determination of which model wins is kept
as an editorial judgement (the way that you do CLSotW... doing it that way
is brilliant. We've had very few vote solicitations because of that inspired
decision of yours many years back).

But don't be too surprised if you get a not very friendly reaction from Lego
about what is, after all, a valid question asked in a well intentioned way.
Not everyone takes constructive criticism, requests for information, or
questioning of motive particularly well.

(difficult questions *are* easier to ask than to answer!)

After all, consider what happened when I asked if you had secured permission
to use the Lego(r) theme logos here. That was actually a question that I was
asking to perhaps benefit other sites that might want to use them too, and
was really hoping to get an answer along the lines of "yes we did and here's
how you go about it if you wanted to".

When you didn't answer that question but evaded it instead, it seemed like
you hadn't secured it. I made a suggestion that you might want to seek legal
advice if you didn't actually have clear cut rights to do what you were
doing. (which suggestion I got offline mail about from someone at TLC
telling me that in their unofficial opinion I was spot on to ask the
question)  Although it's valid advice that I've seen you give others (for
instance regarding domain names)... your reaction to that was not "thanks",
it was to jump on me.

So don't be surprised if you get stonewalled or worse. It's just human
nature. Take comfort in knowing that you tried and that you did raise a
valid point, even if you get no, a semantically null, or a vicious response
in return. That's what I did, anyway. The vicious ones are the hardest to
take but I got over it.

Hope that helps.

++Lar