 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2418
Subject:
A new area of LEGO.com: the Build section
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.lego.announce
Date:
Sat, 5 May 2001 16:01:59 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

As some of you have already noticed, we recently launched a new section of
LEGO.com:

http://www.lego.com/build/

Since the Build section has some content that might be of interest to
Lugnetters and AFOLs in general -- and will hopefully have more in the
future -- I thought I'd post an announcement about what the Build section is
and what we're trying to do with it.

LEGO.com is split into many different areas -- there's Shop at Home online,
of course, and sites for all the different product lines. We also have
sections that cut across many product lines, like Play and Learn (for
parents of young kids), Cool Kids (profiles of amazing kids), or Games
(portal for all the games on the site). Build is the latest one of these,
and (oddly enough) it's all about building and related areas: construction
techniques, showing off MOCs, product development, and more.

We're starting off small, and will be adding to Build incrementally, so
don't expect the works just yet. Here's what we're offering in the first
"issue:"

  * the history of the 8448 Super Car and many of the Technic cars that it
evolved from

  * a Q&A with Hans Madsen, one of our Master Builders and co-designer of
the Dark Side Developer Kit, the Technic turntable, and many other sets and
elements

  * some profiles of people whose careers have been influenced by LEGO
building (you may have seen some of these in the Press section a few months
back)

  * the Builders Gallery (where you can submit photos of MOCs for a monthly
contest), formerly in the Club section, now in a new home and open to public
viewing

  * a collection of links to all the building instructions on LEGO.com

  * the Time Capsule, a look at LEGO sets from the past -- this month, sets
from 25 years ago, including the gorgeous 395 Rolls Royce

  * Ask Redini, where our resident LEGO guru, a floating minifig head who
calls himself The Amazing Redini, answers questions about all things LEGO.
(And before you ask, Redini doesn't know what bulk brick offerings are
planned, and won't engage in debate about issues like juniorization.)

Redini's gotten a few hundred questions since we launched Build last Monday.
(My favorite so far: "Can I have all the LEGO?") Our core audience so far
seems to be around the age range we expected -- median age of 9-10. So we're
trying to make Build readable for kids, but interesting for everyone. Down
the road we're planning on adding more interactive content, like games about
building and simple 3D building apps, as well as more building instructions
and construction techniques.

Tell us what you think! We're happy to take suggestions for Build features,
interviews, Time Capsule content, and so forth. Just post here or drop me a
line -- or tell Redini, and he'll pass the comments on to us.

Tomas Clark
Producer, LEGO Direct

Re: A new area of LEGO.com: the Build section
As some of you have already noticed, we recently launched a new section of
LEGO.com:

http://www.lego.com/build/

Since the Build section has some content that might be of interest to
Lugnetters and AFOLs in general -- and will hopefully have more in the
future -- I thought I'd post an announcement about what the Build section • is
and what we're trying to do with it.

  * the history of the 8448 Super Car and many of the Technic cars that it
evolved from

I thought this section was very well done.

More the same please.

regards
lawrence

Re: A new area of LEGO.com: the Build section