 Off-Topic / Debate / 10432
Re: Why the founding fathers limited government scope (was Re: Rolling Blackouts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 12 May 2001 08:42:23 GMT

Daniel Jassim wrote:

I>Can't say that I've heard it causes any appreciable damage (the number of
launches is miniscule).

Well, I'm just taking the common sense angle that the upper atmosphere is
generally an undisturbed area of the earth. Sure, the occassional meteor or
magnetic storm may come along but for the most part that region is left
alone.

Daniel, I think you need to do a bit more research before you state the above.

The upper atmosphere "generally undisturbed"?  "Occasional meteor"?  Think AGAIN.

So, who knows what sort of problems may be created by increasing
launches? We know the ozone layer is already fragile, what effect does the
combustion of a rocket have as it travels through this layer? So, I'd
approach the matter with caution.

Combustion of a liquid-fueled rocket (solid fueled are rarely used "that high")
at that level gives H2O as exhaust.  You think water is bad for the atmosphere?

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/