 General / 28211
Re: TLG and "Seeding"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 16:17:25 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I think the marketing department needs some help.

Every time I hear "our market testing shows that kids and parents
want juniorization" I am amazed at how large the gap between
marketing and reality is.

Parents and kids want the exact same things that adults do from LEGO.
They want sets with many pieces, interesting pieces and most of all
designs of substance. Current set designs (except technic and SW) are all
sizzle and no steak.

What's the difference between parents, kids and adult fans?  Adult fans
express their ideas and suggestions here, kids and parents at the stores.

I would suggest having store employees and managers write down specific
types of customer comments and periodically forward them up the chain.
Things like "this set costs too much" or "Do you have any girl sets
that are like the boy sets?" or "do you have <really old set>?" or
"do you have any building sets?" could provide valuable insight.

KL

In lugnet.general, Todd Lehman writes:

I'm willing to trust that the thousands of hours of Market Research that TLC
has done over the many years has given them a solid understanding of the
best way to create demand for more pieces and more sets.

--Todd