 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 822
Re: TLG and "Seeding" (Lego and MB compared)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Tue, 6 Mar 2001 18:11:47 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Kerry Raymond writes:
* there is a different style to Probuilder (more realistic, less whimsical)
* Probuilder is more purist in its extensive use of standard pieces
* some Probuilder designs are as good as Lego, but Lego designs are better
overall
* Probuilder has a number of pieces I've never seen in Lego
* Probuilder brick quality is not as good as Lego, but "acceptable"
* Probuilder instructions are generally better than Lego's
* Probuilder is a lot cheaper (in Australia, I'd estimate Probuilder is 1/3
of the price of Lego for sets of similar piece count -- in USA, the price
difference is probably smaller due to the extensive discounts available on
Lego -- judging from Brickwise)

Wow, that was all very well stated and quite accurate to my mind.  The price
differences at full retail are about the same in the U.S. BTW, and not all
of us have access to the same level of sale prices as do some Lugnuts.  Most
of the time a BOGO 50% is the best we can hope for -- and at only 25% off
the full retail price of Lego bricks, MB bricks are still very much the bargain.

Also, MB sets tend to be heavy in the direction of 2x? bricks, rather than
1x? bricks which I prefer for building. But if 2x? would satisfy one's
needs, I can't see why one wouldn't purchase MB sets in quantity.

My biggest complaint about some non-Probuilder MB sets is the tendency for
the odd brick or two to actually crack a little along the wall where it is
being pressured by a stud on the inside when being pressed into place.  Did
that make sense? Anyway, I think people will understand what I mean. This
very thing happened to me with the Blok-Bot sets, and I particularly like
those sets despite this flaw.  I especially like the new 4x4 turntable
element with friction/clicking action.

-- Richard