 General / 28248
Re: TLG and "Seeding"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 21:23:32 GMT

In lugnet.general, Todd Lehman writes:
Somone at LEGO apparently wrote:
For all LEGO models, we are hoping to provide kids with a great building
experience. We have learned over the years that it is difficult for kids to
build certain models in which there is a large number of one colored bricks.

My experience as a child was just the opposite.  I always had too many
colors and not enough of the same colors.  That made me want to buy more
sets, of course...and it still does.

Marketing, marketing, marketing.

To help make the experience better for kids of all ages, we have inserted
certain color changes into the sets to make this easier.

LOL...Yeah, right.  Who do they think they're fooling?  Why feed us garbage
answers like this?  Does TLC think we're all a bunch of idiots?  We're not
good enough for a completely candid answer?  :-/  :-/  :-/  sigh...

David Simmons wrote:
I just want to say that I think this explanation is poo.  If there's one
thing I've observed from looking at all the MOC's that young kids build,
it's they don't care as much about color the way adults do.  Kids use
whatever brick fits the purpose.

Maybe that's the evidence they saw, and drew the wrong conclusion.  :-)

At all the Baylug meetings I've attended
(and I'm sure you guys'll agree), when the kids get down on the floor to
make stuff with all of Uncle Dan's bricks, they just grab bricks at random,
no matter what color they are.

I'm curious what age range of kids that was.  I would think the older the
kid, the more important color consistency is.

Remember the photos of all the alternate models on the back of Classic Space
set boxes?  There weren't any green or red bricks tossed in to make the
experience "easier."  It's called imagination TLG, and we're pretty good at
using it!

We all know that they put the boring old colors in because it makes it just
that much harder for people to have lots of the good new colors.  Simple
bottom-line marketing.  They're a toy company out to make a buck like any
other sometimes.  :-(

--Todd

I was just going to let this thread pass on by like so many other
TLC-bashing threads, but your comments here rang the proverbial bell in my mind.

As a kid (somewhere between 9 and 12 years old) I used to have a friend that
would come over and build models with me. I always wondered how we could
build models similar in thought and similar in theme, yet his were always
"cooler" than mine. I took some time and thought about the differences in
our models. What I came up with at the time (and still follow today) was
color scheme.

My models, up to that point were the multicolored rainbow warriors that
typify the building habits of children of that age. Since then though, I
have changed my style to include color as well as form and function. I would
say that since that day, my models have been on a completely different level.

As far as spotter parts go, I don't mind them so long as they are tactfully
buried in the model. I especially have trouble distiguishing between grey,
dark grey and black in set instructions so spotter parts really help me out.
What I really dislike though, are rainbow warrior models from TLC. I'm
paying good money for good sets. I want sets with a good color scheme (think
Blacktron I, Futron, Res-Q, etc) If I want bad sets with a bad color scheme,
I'll wait until they are in the discount bid. Where is TLC's profit there?

-Duane