 General / 28234
Re: TLG and "Seeding"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 19:25:48 GMT

In lugnet.general, Fredrik Glöckner writes:

I agree with your points here, but I would still say that the 6407,
being a Town Jr set, is aimed at a different crowd than the 672.  That
makes them difficult to compare.  It's a bit like comparing a Duplo
set with a System set.  Not quite, but you get the general idea.

Besides, I don't think it makes sense to compare the 6407 with the
more expensive 672.  Compare 6407 in stead with 602, which is
probably in the same price range:

   http://guide.lugnet.com/set/602_1

Now, which set is better or more playable?

  Good point, but the 602 would probably retail for $2.99, vs. $4.95 for the
6407.  At the same time, using the "standard" of about a dime per piece, the
672 would come in at about six bucks, even with the ladder, and that's
essentially the same price range as the 6407.
  Your observation about the differing target markets is valid, but I'm
concerned that there is no marketing to the 672 crowd, or at best too little
marketing.

   One (admittedly self-centered) rule I use in assessing the
quality of a new set is the MOC value of it.  That is, if I had
designed it, how would I feel in presenting it to LUGNET as a MOC?
If I'd created the 6407, LUGNET would never have known about it,
since I'd have dismantled that sorry model in shame.

Yes, I would never have even started on an MOC like the 6407.  But
still, I have seen MOCs presented on lugnet.cad.models which bear
resemblance to the 6407, so some probably disagree with us.

For that matter, the alleged C-3PO and Stormtrooper kits are also
terrible, and I would never have felt proud to share them with the
community.

That's a point where we disagree. I think the said sets look just great.

  Perhaps, though they don't look like what they're supposed to represent.
I should come clean and state that I'm not a great fan of those techic
panels, but that's just me.  Even if the designs are cool, the functionality
is lousy; the hips, knees, and ankles don't move on 3PO.  The ball/sockets
and hands are cool, but not $35 cool (though the overall piece:price ratio
is about right!)

    Dave!