 General / 28220
Re: TLG and "Seeding"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 18:07:01 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.general, Jake McKee writes:

But the discussion was not about MOCs...it was about building instructions
for a specific design. Personally, I am inclined to trust that the thousands
of hours of research that the TLG has done over the many years has given
them a solid understanding of the best way to create the instructions (and
thus random colored bricks) for kids of the appropriate target age to use.

Remember the photos of all the alternate models on the back of Classic Space
set boxes?  There weren't any green or red bricks tossed in to make the
experience "easier."  It's called imagination TLG, and we're pretty good at
using it!

I remember them very well. I also remember that the models in the box and
showcased on the back of the box weren't as sophisticated as they are today.
Not only because of a wider range of pieces, but an improved sense of design
and realism has made the models more detailed, better looking and somewhat
more complicated. I was actually looking through an old idea book last night
and was chuckling about how far LEGO design has come. (But really, aren't
today's alternative images the same concept as far as that goes?)

I don't want to sound too personally critical, but are you being serious? Sets
like King Leo's Castle are more sophisticated than things like King's Castle?
Or how about the 1998 Cargo Center compared to the 1984 model? And as for idea
books, there can be no comparison because LEGO doesn't even make them anymore!
Maybe that's the reason for the new slogan, "Just Imagine...": because LEGO
isn't going to give you any ideas. I understand you have to defend your
employer, but the above statement is an insult to our intelligence.

As far as I see it, I don't really see ease of building instructions and
creativity as the same thing. There are many elements of creativity in
building instructions, but one is direction, one is free form. I don't
really think that the instructions being easer to read and understand takes
away, reduces, or limits creativity in the slightest.

It shouldn't. What reduces creativity is the declining quality of set design.
There are ways to make instructions easier to read without dumbing down sets.
Painting studs on the instructions to show distance or including a little box
on each page which shows the new pieces in that step are good ideas which LEGO
has put to use. Quality and ease of construction are not mutually exclusive.

Am I just not following your thinking?

Jake
---
The views expressed here don't necessarily represent those of my employer

Either they do, or you are being dishonest. Please defend your statement that
today's models are more complicated and well-designed than those of the past.
Jake, I have always thought you had a lot of credibility in your dealings with
us, but this statement puts that in jeopardy.

-Marc Nelson Jr.