 General / 28388
Re: TLG and "Seeding"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.starwars, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Sat, 3 Mar 2001 14:57:27 GMT

SETS AND PARTS

It is only in the last year or 2 that one can say that the quality of the
clone sets and parts has improved. Anyone familiar with the older MegaBlock
sets (Western, Castle, Viking, Space Alien, Creature Seeker) would have to
say that they were the *ultimate* in POOPs, BURPs, SPUDs, and every other
kind of molded part one could think of. Buildings and vessels were one or
two enormous POOP/SPUDs tacked together.

MB seems to have changed its strategy to hit LEGO where it ain't: sets with
lots of pieces, very unjuniorized, marketed for an older audience than
before. The pre-2000 MB sets were not like that at all. And I doubt that
there are many people buying MB sets to keep as sets - they won't stick
together over time (more on this later). They are buying them as boxes of
bulk-bricks.

I've been noticing a lot of MegaBlock sets that actually look pretty good,
and I find myself saying to myself, "I wish that was Lego". MB has
battleships and helicopters and other IMO fun sets while Lego puts out
obscure themes such as "Life on Mars", etc. (Not saying LoM is bad ...)

~ Michael