 General / 28205
Re: TLG and "Seeding"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 15:19:51 GMT

In lugnet.general, James Simpson writes:
In lugnet.general, Jake McKee writes:

I remember them very well. I also remember that the models in the box and
showcased on the back of the box weren't as sophisticated as they are today.
Not only because of a wider range of pieces, but an improved sense of design
and realism has made the models more detailed, better looking and somewhat
more complicated. I was actually looking through an old idea book last night
and was chuckling about how far LEGO design has come. (But really, aren't
today's alternative images the same concept as far as that goes?)

Jake, with all due respect, what models are you refering to?  The models of
10, 15, or 20 years ago were far superior in terms of realism, details, and
attractiveness.

I have to agree with James wholeheartedly, on pretty much every point he makes.

Were some of the alternate models on old sets difficult to make?  Yes, but that
was part of their appeal!  It was a challenge!  It felt great to show the
picture and the model to my parents and say, "Look!  I built this just by
looking at the picture!"  When you make the alternate models too easy, you
remove much of what the accomplishment of building it give to the child.

Jeff

P.S.  I still want to do my Comparison Survey at various toy stores to find out
which set kids would want more, 6390 Main Street or 6464 Super Rescue
Complex...