 General / 28228
Re: TLG and "Seeding"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 18:59:24 GMT

"Dave Schuler" <orrex@excite.com> writes:

Is this an improvement?  Some may disagree, but I think 6407 is
among the worst offerings in LEGO's history, especially at $.23 per
piece!  6407 has only the hose reel and the trans-blue slopes to
recommended it. In contrast, 672 had two opening doors, a
windshield, a trailer hitch, and an extending ladder!

I agree with your points here, but I would still say that the 6407,
being a Town Jr set, is aimed at a different crowd than the 672.  That
makes them difficult to compare.  It's a bit like comparing a Duplo
set with a System set.  Not quite, but you get the general idea.

Besides, I don't think it makes sense to compare the 6407 with the
more expensive 672.  Compare 6407 in stead with 602, which is
probably in the same price range:

    http://guide.lugnet.com/set/602_1

Now, which set is better or more playable?

   One (admittedly self-centered) rule I use in assessing the
quality of a new set is the MOC value of it.  That is, if I had
designed it, how would I feel in presenting it to LUGNET as a MOC?
If I'd created the 6407, LUGNET would never have known about it,
since I'd have dismantled that sorry model in shame.

Yes, I would never have even started on an MOC like the 6407.  But
still, I have seen MOCs presented on lugnet.cad.models which bear
resemblance to the 6407, so some probably disagree with us.

For that matter, the alleged C-3PO and Stormtrooper kits are also
terrible, and I would never have felt proud to share them with the
community.

That's a point where we disagree.  I think the said sets look just
great.  I think they are a result from a very creative and imaginative
use of parts, and I believe they probably took a lot of time to
design.  In fact, they have encouraged me to look into designing
characters using the same kind of parts selection, but I haven't got
too far yet, unfortunately.

Of course I agree with people that the Town Jr line is bad as a Town
line.  But I think that people should take into consideration that
they are not designe with the same crown in mind as the earlier Town
sets.  If people don't like juniorized sets, they should simply don't
buy them.  I feel pretty confident that one can build nice town MOCs
from the parts selection available from other sets.

Fredrik