 General / 28198
Re: TLG and "Seeding"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 13:51:18 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.general, David Simmons writes:

when the kids get down on the floor to
make stuff with all of Uncle Dan's bricks, they just grab bricks at random,
no matter what color they are.

But the discussion was not about MOCs...it was about building instructions
for a specific design. Personally, I am inclined to trust that the thousands
of hours of research that the TLG has done over the many years has given
them a solid understanding of the best way to create the instructions (and
thus random colored bricks) for kids of the appropriate target age to use.

Remember the photos of all the alternate models on the back of Classic Space
set boxes?  There weren't any green or red bricks tossed in to make the
experience "easier."  It's called imagination TLG, and we're pretty good at
using it!

I remember them very well. I also remember that the models in the box and
showcased on the back of the box weren't as sophisticated as they are today.
Not only because of a wider range of pieces, but an improved sense of design
and realism has made the models more detailed, better looking and somewhat
more complicated. I was actually looking through an old idea book last night
and was chuckling about how far LEGO design has come. (But really, aren't
today's alternative images the same concept as far as that goes?)

As far as I see it, I don't really see ease of building instructions and
creativity as the same thing. There are many elements of creativity in
building instructions, but one is direction, one is free form. I don't
really think that the instructions being easer to read and understand takes
away, reduces, or limits creativity in the slightest.

Am I just not following your thinking?

Jake
---
The views expressed here don't necessarily represent those of my employer