 General / 28278
Re: TLG and "Seeding"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.starwars, lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 07:17:50 GMT

well,
i usually let this theme slide on by as it shows up so often
and is always the same old debate, however...

this time,
i would like to say for the record

can you really look @ some of the MOCs out there and
complain about the pieces TLC is providing for us
these days?  We've got more options for how to build
something these days than we ever had before, and
despite feelings of nostalgia (i've been collecting
lego since the first apollo astronaut set in the
mid 1970s) you couldn't build crap w/ a bunch of
2x2x2 blue cubes back then.

nowadays, when i need a hinge, i have so many ways
of hinging parts that often i can't even decide which
way to use.  heck, often it's totally arbitrary.

yes, some sets have POOPs. don't buy them. that's how
we tell TLC those sets suck.  If you want bulk bricks,
then buy bulk bricks and stop expecting TLC to provide
you w/ plenty of bulk bricks in sets that are designed
to have some custom look-and-feel to them.

if you prefer the older stuff, and believe me I DO TOO
on a lot of sets,  then hunt around for them on brickbay,
or just figure out what parts you want and scrounge around
for those.  As always, persistence often pays off.

as for seeding and extra colors, some of my 'best' pieces
came as seed pieces in other kits.  For example, the
star wars tie fighter (minifig version) comes w/ a green
1x2 w/ a single stud in the center on top... haven't seen
one of those before. Now i got one.

On the whole,
I'd have to say that I have more fun w/ lego now than I
ever did BEFORE my dark ages.  And it says a lot that
lego captured my interest so intensely that I actually
RETURNED from my dark ages.

lego rulz.  As long as TLC
doesn't completely abandon bricks for POOPs then I'm in.

:-)

-paul