 General / 28238
Re: TLG and "Seeding"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 19:43:37 GMT

In lugnet.general, Larry Pieniazek writes:

Someone asked about seeding or using "spotter" parts, questioning the
accuracy and or legitimacy of the explanation given by TLC (which
explanation, I reiterate, I agree with as being accurate and legitimate. I
have observed kids in the target age range and the spotter parts help. Heck,
they help ME(1). This isn't about creativity, it isn't about what MOCs you
can make, it isn't about product quality, it's about helping follow
directions) and we seem to have veered off into Standard Product Rant #1. As
per usual.

As much fun as that is, (nobody likes a good rant as much as I do) it isn't
what the original post was about.

Does anyone have better data (mine is anecdotal, based on observation of a
non scientific small sample of children, some of them mine) to confirm or
refute that spotter parts help the build process?

Or does everyone just want to bash away at TLC as per usual? If so, carry
on, I guess, but don't expect much useful stuff to come out of the thread
other than feeling good that we bashed TLC again. As per usual.

Personally, I'm interested in ways to improve the quality of model
instructions. And that includes using spotter parts. The problem matters to
me for more than purely curiousity reasons, and it's a very interesting problem.

I am in the middle of developing a set of instructions that have to work for
multiple model color schemes, because I will be allowing customers to select
the colors for 6 different portions of a model and have to provide
instructions that make sense and that are easy to follow no matter what
colors were chosen. It will be quite a bit more complex (of an instruction
problem) than what TLC has done so far with their steamer, I think. (spotter
parts are only tangentially related, of course)

But if y'all would rather bash, feel free, don't let me stop you.

I for one have no problem getting spotter parts if they are tactfully concealed
within the model and don't detract from the design.  No bashing from these
quarter.  That said, Jake voiced  opinions (that  were not limited to spotting)
which I heartily disagree with in principle.  That's all it is.  On Lugnet it
sometimes seems that one risks being branded an insensitive blow-hard for mere
criticism of the company.  I appreciate what the company has done with SW and
bulk bricks.  I love the company, I spend money on the company's product, but
I'm not going to sing the company fight-song just yet.

james (Larry, these comments weren't directed at you - just leaves in the wind,
so to speak)