 General / 28191
Subject:
TLG and "Seeding"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 06:47:45 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

This is my word for TLG's recent penchant for inserting random color bricks
SW sets.  Here's the excerpt from the FBTB site interview:

What exactly is behind LEGO randomly inserting colored bricks into models? • I'm referring to things like the green brick in >the Shuttle.

For all LEGO models, we are hoping to provide kids with a great building
experience. We have learned over the years that it >is difficult for kids to
build certain models in which there is a large number of one colored bricks.
To help make the >experience better for kids of all ages, we have inserted
certain color changes into the sets to make this easier.

I just want to say that I think this explanation is poo.  If there's one
thing I've observed from looking at all the MOC's that young kids build,
it's they don't care as much about color the way adults do.  Kids use
whatever brick fits the purpose.  At all the Baylug meetings I've attended
(and I'm sure you guys'll agree), when the kids get down on the floor to
make stuff with all of Uncle Dan's bricks, they just grab bricks at random,
no matter what color they are.

Remember the photos of all the alternate models on the back of Classic Space
set boxes?  There weren't any green or red bricks tossed in to make the
experience "easier."  It's called imagination TLG, and we're pretty good at
using it!

Dave (happier now to have vented that)

Re: TLG and "Seeding"