 General / 28254
28253  |  28255
Subject:
Clarification, and another point
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 22:57:23 GMT

Wow, quite a thread from my original post.  Aaaah, intelligent mature
discussion, I love this group!  I think what I was trying to get at was that
TLG claims that the sets are easier to assemble since many of the pieces
which are not the same color as the vehicle/object/whatever often seem to be
the kind of pieces that hold the model together, ie the 2x8 white bricks in
the Falcon.

Like Kevin Maynes suggested, TLG asserts that the non-set color makes them
easier to identify in the instruction booklet.  The insidous part of this is
that I think that behind this feel-good response (it's easier for the kids
to put the set together) is the real reason, that TLG uses this method as a
way to cut costs in part production.  I believe you mentioned this Todd, and
I totally agree!  As many of you have noticed, these different colored
pieces have shown up in multiple sets, ie the 1x2 green plate with the side
ridge that's in the Shuttle and several other SW sets.  This is a way for
TLG to produce this piece in only one color and use it ALL the sets
regardless on the overall color scheme.  That's how we end up with a Falcon
with red and blue highlights and an interior of black, tan, white, red, and
blue.  While I'm not averse to some color accents, they should fit the
overall color scheme of the model.  I don't want a rainbow colored Falcon.
I want a gray one with a few dark gray highlights.

Besides, IMHO, TLG solved this problem in a much better way in the older
instruction booklets.  They simply placed a white border around the pieces
that had been added in that step.  Or they would put the piece in a window
with an arrow pointing to where it should go.  I think both James Simpson
and Mark Nelson Jr. mentioned this in their posts.  Both methods are
graphic, non-verbal cues that are very easy to interpret.  Why change this?
It worked great for years.

Besides, if the kids want bricks in more colors, there are always Basic
tubs.

Dave