 General / 28633
Re: TLG and "Seeding"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 11 Mar 2001 15:31:46 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jason J. Railton writes:

I agree with the explanation too.  Have you noticed how a lot of kids jumped
on the K'nex system, but not Lego's own Znap?  The big difference was that
K'nex colour-coded the function of each element.  There were no duplications
of the same piece in a different colour.  This made the instructions easier
to follow, and the function of the pieces easy to learn.  Kids don't mind
that the resulting models have odd colours all over them - look at a MOC
from any seven-year old if you don't believe me.

Perhaps its time for a 'random surprise bucket', you get 2 lbs of parts, no two
buckets the same. No instructions. The 'Jackson Pollock'[1] style of set/MOC
layout.

My next point, is have you noticed that Lego are starting to do this with
individual sets?  Look at any current minifig theme set, and you'll find
little duplication of elements in different colours.  It's rare you'll find
bricks or plates of the same size in two different colours.  This again
makes it less likely for a young builder to make mistakes.  It must be
pretty hard to design a set that can have an inventory like this.

Same concept, taken differently: large sets that do have the same parts in
different colors are being made with sub-packs. I just looked thru 6600 Highway
Construction. I don't think the 'same part / different color' was in any of the
sub-bags. I found it curious that they even made 3 identical packs for the
support pieces, rather than 1 pack with 3x pieces.

Ray

1. Jackson Pollock (1912-56). American painter, the commanding figure of the
Abstract Expressionist movement.