 General / 28286
Re: TLG and "Seeding"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 14:38:03 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jake McKee writes:

If my views happen to run in line with something that TLC has said before, I
ask that no one automatically assume that I am "hand selling the company
line".

  Since I was the one who leveled that accusation, I'll step up to the
plate.  The problem comes not from your expression of your own ideas, nor
from your professional expression of TLC's ideas, but rather from an
apparent inconsistency in expressing one while claiming the other.  You've
read the overwhelming majority opinion here that the sophistication of set
design has in general declined over the past several years, and this has
been bolstered by citing examples of similarly-themed and similarly-priced
sets from "now" and "then." The "now" sets are almost universally
dumbed-down by comparison.  To claim, then, that you as an individual
personally, regardless of your employer, feel that LEGO sets are more
sophisticated simply sounds absurd, especially when you pair that with your
sig-line disclaimer.
  Obviously you're entitled to your opinions, and obviously we can't expect
you to spill your employer's beans for us, but many among us can identify
corporate spin when we read it, and it is apparent that we have read
something very much like it here.

Please understand if I just drop this before we go any further,
despite being told to defend myself or else.

  Understood.  At the same time, we must ask you to understand that we're
not simply ranting; we have deep concerns about deteriorating product value.
For many of us, LEGO has achieved critical mass, in that our love of the
brick will persist on its own, and often in spite of the course followed by
TLC itself.

And thanks for helping me out in my absence Larry!

  Hmm.  Now that we've established that the various Erics are all one
person, do we have any evidence that Larry and Jake are two different people?

     Dave!