 General / 28208
Re: TLG and "Seeding"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 15:57:21 GMT

In lugnet.general, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.general, "Jake McKee" <jacob.mckee@america.lego.com> writes:
But the discussion was not about MOCs...it was about building instructions
for a specific design. Personally, I am inclined to trust that the thousands
of hours of research that the TLG has done over the many years has given
them a solid understanding of the best way to create the instructions (and
thus random colored bricks) for kids of the appropriate target age to use.

I'm willing to trust that the thousands of hours of Market Research that TLC
has done over the many years has given them a solid understanding of the
best way to create demand for more pieces and more sets.

Point taken, but I will also trust the time I've spent observing my kids
build sets by the instructions. The other color parts HELP that process.
Personally I'd rather that they used wilder colors (why, in a grey model,
use a blue 2x2 spotter when you could have used a Maersk Light Blue 2x2
spotter instead) but different colors help the build process. Any different
colors.

That is a true statement based on my experience. Whether there are reasons
why that truth is being piggybacked for other purposes or not is a different
question, but don't deride it as false unless you have the data to back it up.

The spotter pieces in boring colors *inhibit* the single set MOC process,
(which is what we like to do) but *help* the "follow the instructions"
process (which is what a lot of kids do... many kids never get beyond it,
unfortunately). Remember, TLC used to print white dots on some baseplates
for very similar (although not identical) reasons. Those white dots hindered
the MOC process too.

++Lar