 General / 28651
Re: TLG and "Seeding"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 04:23:16 GMT

What exactly is behind LEGO randomly inserting colored bricks into models?

Using a few choice odd-colored pieces can make things much easier to see in
the printed instructions, and provides a visual reference for placement of
nearby pieces.  Maybe you or I wouldn't build an MOC that way, but if you're
holding stock LEGO models to that standard, you'd better get used to
disappointment.

I 'seeded' the interior of the _Radiant VII_ I built today with blue and yellow
so I wouldn't run out of red for the exterior!  Not really a bad strategy for
large creations.

Having now actually spent some time trying to draw up some building
instructions for some of my own models, I have a new-found appreciation for
how hard it can be to clearly illustrate how a model should be built.

The MegaBlocks Tyrannosaurus sculpture (and all their other sets, I think) have
the new parts for each step in their true bright colours, and previously added
parts noticably faded.  That set was still hard to build (for a kid, anyway),
but the instructions were brilliant.  Do you think TLC would be allowed to
introduce that system?
NOTE: I'm not a clone brand buyer!  I haven't gotten any MegaBlocks for many
years, and I'm almost done sorting them out of my collection.