 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 787
Re: TLG and "Seeding"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 00:42:35 GMT

In lugnet.general, David Zorn writes a worthy exposition of things clone
related.

As Dave Shuler commented (see other also worthy reply) its a trade-off - for
less money I can do more stuff I enjoy.  I'm sold.

I can't speak to clones other than Blockmen and Mega Blocks, but I'm
surprised about the 'not sticking together' thing.  I have been working Mega
Blocks for about six months - they don't seem to be going off, and if
anything, they seem to me to stick more ferociously than Lego.  This is no
doubt partly to do with poor/inconsistent molding, but I'm cool with that.
They're definitely harder on the fingertips.

Lego has a much nicer and more consistent finish, but for me, for castle
walls and ship hulls, this is actually a drawback. The more textured finish
of a large wall of Mega Blocks has an extra dimension of realism.

I haven't seen the colour mismatch thingie either.  Out of 5 carriers, 7
battleships (from at least three different production batches), and three
tanks (from three different batches), the colours have been entirely consistent.

Bear in mind that I am speaking only of the ProBuilder line (is that important?)

I guess I no longer rail about Lego's focus being unhelpful to me
personally.  I like their stuff, I really do.  I just find that I also
derive great fun from other company's stuff too.  For US$15, you can pick up
an interesting tank, for a little more, other larger also interesting sets.
My advice is not to talk about it so much as to try it out.

If you don't like it, you can always send it to me ;-)

Richard
Still baldly going...