 General / 28218
28217  |  28219
Subject:
Exactly!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 17:42:19 GMT

Thank you James, for bringing out this point.  I couldn't have summed it up
better.

Dave

James Simpson <jsimpson@rice.edu> wrote in message
Jake, with all due respect, what models are you refering to?  The models • of 10,
15, or 20 years ago were far superior in terms of realism, details, and
attractiveness.

Yesteryear: Garage Doors
Today: No garage doors

Yesteryear: Cars with doors and chasis you could build
Today: No doors, and one-piece chasis pieces

Yesteryear: Buildings made primarily from basic bricks
Today: Buildigns made primarily from POOPs

IMHO, by every parameter, Town, Castle, and Space sets of yesteryear were
designed with greater detail, attractiveness, and *care*.  I'd wager that • almost
every AFOL here would agree that set quality has dropped precipitously • since the
early 90's.  There has not been any System model between 97-01 that can • compare
to the best sets of any year between 1978 and 1996.  What has changed for • the
better in the past few years is that Lego is offering a more versatile • range of
elements, especially the old parts in new colors.  However, the irony here • is
that Lego chooses not to enhance set design and playability with this • great
expanded range of parts; instead, however, models are dumbed down and • diluted by
careless set design and over-dependence of POOPs and BURPs.

I'd also wager that kids are more sophisticated these days.  Does Lego • mean to
suggest that, while I did just fine with un-seeded instructions back in • the
early 80's (I'm 26), kids these days just can't handle the same concept, • the
same task?  Does Lego think that kids these days are less inteligent than • the
old guard?

In regards to the old idea books, most of the models therein were great • examples
of construction possible with existing elements.  I'm afraid to say that • current
System sets are for the most part uninspiring - they are the kind of • slapdash
nonsense that wouldn't suprise me from a lesser company.  And the real • irony,
the real tragedy, is that Lego is eroding its future customer base.  Lego • of
yesteryear captured the imagination - set design, • alternate-model-box-designs,
and Idea books captivated our imaginations; there really was a sense of • wonder
about it that made us fall in love with the Brick.  Do curent System sets • have
that same effect today?  I doubt it.  Not because kids these days can't be
inspired by non-media entertainment, but at least in this case, because • Lego has
lost its way.

respectfully,

james