 General / 28210
28209  |  28211
Subject:
Definition of "LUG"... It's all in a name.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.org
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 16:15:44 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

OK, this is more of a question(s) then a statement.  First I will ask the
questions and then tell you why I am asking it and what my answer is.  This is
something I would like to get a concensus on and add it to the FAQ at some
point.

The Questions:

What does the 3 letter acronym "LUG" mean?
How should it be used?

Why am I asking this question?:

Well I have been talking off line with some folks about this and we fear that
the term "LUG" might be getting taken for granted and used without thinking
about what it means.

Now I think most of us know that "LUG" stands for "LEGO Users Group" but that
isn't the answer I am looking for.  We also know there are many regional LUG's
out there like NELUG, NALUG, WamaLUG, RichLUG etc. etc.  There is also LUGNET
the LEGO Users Group Network.  Which can be taken to mean it is a place for all
the regional LUGs to come and share common experiances (I.E. Network).

All of this is great but then we also have things like BrickLUG Chat and
LUGMag.  What are these?

Now I don't want anyone to think I think these are bad ideas.  Actually I think
they are great ideas.  I just want to understand the names and why LUG is a
part of them.

First BrickLUG Chat... or Brick LEGO Users Group Chat:

To me the name itself doesn't make sense when you string it out.  It seems
redundant "Brick LEGO".  Why not just call it Brick Chat if it is just a place
for real time chats?  Or if it is a place for LEGO User Groups to Chat in real
time why not just call it LUG Chat?

Again I have nothing wrong with having a real time chat.  I am just wondering
about the name.

Second LUGMag... or LEGO Users Group Magazine:

First I would assume by the name that this was some sort of Magazine detailing
events and/or issues related to LUG's.  But that isn't what it is at all.

See here:

http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=26430

Again I think the idea is great with great presentation but the name doesn't
make sense to me.

Are these just cases that because we can't use LEGO in our URL's we substitue
"LUG" instead?

Anyway here are my answers to the 3 questions I asked earlier:

What does the 3 letter acronym "LUG" mean?

To me this means a group of people that get together (either in real life or
virtually) to discuss a common subject, LEGO.  (please no snid remarks about
Linux User Groups).

Now I think BrickLUG Chat falls into this catagory but I still think the name
doesn't make sense to me (see above).

How should it be used?

In my mind this is simple.  It should either stand alone like it does in the
name LUGNET or it should be prefixed by a descriptive region or location like
NE for New England or Rich for Richmond.  For that matter I think AOLLUG or
AIMLUG might be better than BrickLUG.

LUGMag does stand alone like LUGNET but to me the name isn't descriptive of
what it is (see above).

Again I don't want to start a flame war I am just trying to see what other
people think about the term LUG.  I just don't want to see the term taken for
granted and used for the sake of using it.  Also note that I have no problem
with either BrickLUG Chat or LUGMag its just their names don't make sense to
me.

I also don't expect either BrickLUG or LUGMag to change their names.  I just
want people to start thinking about the use of the term LUG before they use it.

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/