 Trains / 29336
29335  |  29337
Subject:
Impact of LTCs (Re: The Official "Issues List")
Newsgroups:
lugnet.ambassadors, lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 30 Jul 2007 06:35:56 GMT

In lugnet.ambassadors, William R. Ward wrote:
In lugnet.ambassadors, Brian Davis wrote:
Disclaimer: I'm not a train guy, not even close. And I agree that the 9V system
is a fantastic system in and of itself, not to mention the amazing things train
clubs do with it. Should it be on the "list"? I'd *absolutely* agree. And I
really *really* hope that it's not going away anytime soon. That said...

In lugnet.ambassadors, William R. Ward wrote:

There are no space or castle or any other genre that
does anything nearly as visible to the public eye as
train clubs.

Hmm. I'm not sure exactly where you get that statistic from. For instance, FIRST
LEGO League had "nearly 90,000 children participating worldwide 8,846 teams"
last year, and this year the projection is for over 106,000 children.  [...]

Children.  Sorry I wasn't clear.  I was talking about AFOLs.

It's potentially a large audience... I wonder if the community, and the campaign
to save 9V trains wouldn't benefit from gathering a more solid understanding of
some of the numbers involved. For example:

How many people have viewed LEGO train layouts at exhibitions in the last year?

How many people purchase LEGO products as a result of seeing LEGO train club
layouts exhibitions in the last year (or have increased the amount of purchases
etc)?

How does the presence of large LEGO layouts at train exhibitions mesh with
LEGO's marketing and advertising programs?

What would the effect be on LEGO if there wasn't a LEGO train club presence at
exhibitions?

(This may have been covered elsewhere - apologies if it has, but if a link could
be provided that would be cool).

Cheers

Richie Dulin

FUT .trains