 Ambassadors / 261
Re: The Official "Issues List"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.ambassadors
Date:
Thu, 9 Aug 2007 15:01:55 GMT

In lugnet.ambassadors, Samarth Moray wrote:
   In lugnet.ambassadors, John Patterson wrote:
   In lugnet.ambassadors, Samarth Moray wrote:
   In lugnet.ambassadors, John Patterson wrote:
   Don’t outsource customer service to India. Please do not outsource the making of the bricks to Antarctica. Bring out a new City Series called “The Other Side of the Tracks” to go with the Cafe Corner (Liquor Store, Adult Book Store, High rise public housing, Check Cashing Center and maybe a Pay Day Advance, and a Pawn Shop, Hooters.) These have always been on the top of my “If I owned Lego” list John P

What’s wrong with outsourcing to India?

It takes jobs away from the US. Often when I have had computer issues I could not understand the person I was talking to. Dell techs are in India now. I am sure that the people in India would not like to call customer support for something if it was outsourced to the US and the support people were taking in a second language with an American or Bristish accent. Just my preference, personally I like to keep the jobs in the US. And it is something like the clothing makers getting the same product from workers who make a dollar or less a day. Not really fair to them. At one time airline companies had prison inmates making the reservations. Real good idea, the inmates had nothing better to do and they would work for a few dollars a day. Then they discovered they were stealing the credit card information. John P

Why should a Danish company interested in cutting costs and saving itself from financial ruin care about whether people in the US aren’t employed as a result of their actions?

I didn’t say that Lego should care, I said that I cared.

They might care in that the US is their biggest market. And if it wasn’t for the US they would probably be out of business right now. I am not sure but I bet that the Bionicle movies were in English because they wanted sales in the US, Great Britian and Australian markets

And incidentally, you’d be quite wrong to think my countrymen would be upset to talk to tech support in the US. A large number of them are greatly enamoured by the west in general and the US in particular (an admiration which, for the record, I do not always share), so it really would be no big deal for them.

I just care to talk to tech that I understand when having problems. Some of the accents are quite thick. It is fustrating to use tech support even if it is in the US and then to add the problem of understanding compounds that fustration. I am quite good at hearing through accents having lived outside the country for almost 10 years. Once India’s economy is such that they do not need the outsourcing business and there is a cheaper place to hire techs, it will go somewhere else and then maybe the people in India will care about outsourcing

Apologies for the late reply, I have been busy with RL.

Not sure what RL is but I know there is something else that takes up time that is not Lego. Sometimes I needlepoint.

John P