 Ambassadors / 177
Re: The Official "Issues List"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.ambassadors
Date:
Mon, 30 Jul 2007 00:12:10 GMT

In lugnet.ambassadors, Allister McLaren wrote:

My main issue is with the ambassador program itself, and the veil of secrecy that surrounds it. Far from it being a ‘two-way communication’ between fans and the company, it seems more and more to me like it has become a buffer between fans and the company. Regular fans are annoying to the company, so they’ve hand picked a bunch of the more visible ones, put them under an NDA, and then any interaction between ‘fans’ and the company can be strictly controlled by the company.

I fail to see how the ambassador program increases such control at all. Every fan is still free to contact LEGO with their issues exactly as they did before, and leak^H^H^H^H post any information they find around the place. It appears to me reading the NDA that even ambassadors are allowed to leak information so long as it was “rightfully obtained” and was in their possession before being provided by TLC. Are images scraped from public TLC servers “rightfully obtained”? I’m sure the lawyers could argue about that for years. But why not take your own advice, and vote with your feet? If fans stop using the ambassador program to communicate with LEGO, they will eventually stop using it too.

   I strongly encourage the ambassadors to stop all this erring on the side of caution. I’m not asking for trade secrets to be divulged, but surely things like fan involvement in set design, advance info on upcoming themes etc can be announced without destroying the company.

Probably, but that’s currently the company’s decision, not the ambassadors’.

ROSCO