 Ambassadors / 190
Re: The Official "Issues List"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.ambassadors
Date:
Mon, 30 Jul 2007 12:42:30 GMT

In lugnet.ambassadors, William R. Ward wrote:

There are no space or castle or any other genre that
does anything nearly as visible to the public eye as
train clubs.

FIRST LEGO League had "nearly 90,000 children participating
worldwide 8,846 teams" last year, and this year the projection
is for over 106,000 children.  [...]

Children.  Sorry I wasn't clear.  I was talking about AFOLs.

Why? Your thrust seemed to be the PR value of the 9V trains line - and PR value
is to the public, not just AFoLs (in fact, AFoLs, as has been discussed, seem to
make up a small percentage of the sales... although I personally seem to be
fighting that trend this year :-).

If your argument is from the standpoint of PR, then exposing one kid deeply to
LEGO in FLL is probably more cost-effective than doing that to a parent or AFoL
at a train show... because the childs parents also end up deeply exposed (at the
very least you have to learn enough about the processes to agree to it, drive
them to it, fund it and possible resulting trips... and more often than not the
parents are very enthusastic participants, *not* passive consumers), not to
mention a lot of other kids in the school (often) where the team is based.
Exposure-wise, one kid is likely "worth more" in a PR sense than one average
adult, or even one AFoL.

This doesn't mean trains have no PR value, or that the PR value isn't important,
or isn't valuable or worth saving for this reason - I think all of those *are*
very good reasons to save the 9V line. It *does* represent a source of "free PR"
for LEGO on a significant scale. But if you unintentionaly misrepresent that
scale, it brings into question the validity of the rest of the argument as well.
IT may still be perfectly valid... but if it has one obvious flaw, the burden is
now on the presenter to prove that it does not have any other obvious flaws.

--
Brian Davis