 Ambassadors / 153
Re: The Official "Issues List"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.ambassadors
Date:
Fri, 27 Jul 2007 10:16:06 GMT

In lugnet.ambassadors, Nelson Yrizarry wrote:
In lugnet.ambassadors, Marc Nelson Jr. wrote:
{10) Continual information leaks on upcoming LEGO sets/themes. (Corporate
Security) }

Is this something TLG is concerned about or something AFOLs are concerned
about? Personally, I'll take all the information (leaked or otherwise) I can
get.

To answer your question: Leaks [are] an issue that TLG is concerned about.
The Ambassadors also felt that this should be listed as an issue in the best
interest of their business, as well as for the fans. As Lenny pointed out in
another thread, LEGO competitors can seize opportunities for set/theme design
ideas, and we don't want that to happen.

Also, it's great when LEGO can bring forth a set that has not been leaked -
Cafe Corner, Market Street, and the UCS Millennium Falcon, to name a few - to
the fans. Some fansites feel differently; they want to know all of the
sets/themes that TLG will offer in the year(s) to come, and scour through TLG
servers to get images/info. Surely, this is not in the best interest of TLG,
nor of the fans, is it?  If you feel otherwise, please elaborate and the
Ambassadors will discuss your concerns to see if the issue should be removed
from the list.

Nelson Yrizarry¬
LEGO Ambassador

I don't know if this is related to the types of leaks you're talking about, but
a little bird told me that there were some very unhappy ambassadors when news
and pictures of the "Dwarfs mining" set were published on the internet recently.
The story I heard is that the ambassadors (some, not all) were very unimpressed
that THEY were not the first to know of the set (and were unaware of it until
images, etc were posted). Strangely enough, I don't recall ever seeing anything
saying that ambassadors would be the first to know of all upcoming releases...

I have also seen commentary on other forums about the possibility of the image
having come from a dealer catalogue, but as I was the person who posted the
information, I can state categorically that the image came from a catalogue sent
to Australian and New Zealand members of the LEGO catalogue and available in
some stores. As far as I am aware, Australian and New Zealand retailers only get
a few sheets of paper listing set names, numbers and prices and have never
received "dealer catalogues" of the form US retailers do.

An interesting note regarding "leaking" of set details is that until a few years
ago, Lego collectors in Australia (and most of the world other than the US)
received a single catalogue in the first few months of the year containing ALL
sets that were to be available for the year, and as such details of sets for
later in a year can not really be termed "leaks" in this context.

In addition, we have never (prior to last year) had sets slated for one years
release being "leaked" by LEGO to consumers in the previous year...Maybe LEGO
should cut back on these leaks as well?
[An Example being the 2007 aquaraiders sets (and more) being sold by LEGO (and
retailers) in November/December in the US and Canada :
http://news.lugnet.com/loc/ca/on/?n=413 ]

Further to this, how can a set be a 2007 release set if sold in 2006? (I'm
refering to both LEGO's claims and references like the set guide here and on
other sites) (And more to the point, would it not have been possible for someone
to claim copyright to a design for one of these sets in 2006. After all,
according to the box/instructions, LEGO only claimed copyright in 2007 for these
items...)

As far as leaks go, if a set is slated for release in a particular year (based
on copyright year printed on packaging) then information such as name, set
number, cost and theme should probably be the most information released to the
public in the previous year (and certainly not the actual set...If LEGO want to
sell a set at the end of a year for the christmas rush, then make it a release
for THAT year, not the following). However, in the year the set is slated for
release, a set picture (from ANY source) Should NOT be considered a leak. At
that stage LEGO SHOULD have their valid copyrights and so the problem of
competitors ripping off their designs can be covered.

[I appologise for rambling...Been crook with the flu all week and rather tired
at the moment.]

Benjamin Whytcross