 Ambassadors / 214
Re: The Official "Issues List"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.ambassadors
Date:
Tue, 31 Jul 2007 17:43:59 GMT

Nelson / Richie,

Thanks again for posting this list, and for your diligent work as LEGO Ambassadors. (I hope that you get paid for it)

I think I also need to say that I am appalled by 9V Trains not being on the original list. Are you guys representing the interest of the entire community or just hoping to avoid what is becoming known as the largest mistake TLG has made?

That aside, I want to bring up what matters most in a business: money. LEGO is already loosing it to competitors of such. The lack of 9V Train sets and AFOL directed Town sets is being fulfilled on eBay and other sites as we speak. Custom sets made by community members (including myself) have brought prices at least as high as $355 for a single 9V Train Locomotive without any motors. AFOL directed buildings, such as name branded restaurants with fully finished interiors, have sold for at least as much as $270 for a 500 piece building on a 16x32 stud baseplate.

There is a definite gap in the money willing to be spent on 9V Train sets and the production of these sets. If a real company, such as MegaBlocks, were to start producing sets to fill this gap, TLG would probably take a serious blow.

Thanks to LEGO Train Clubs for their inspiration, LEGO fans want their own train layouts. I grew up with Technic, but I have personally spent at least four thousand dollars over the last year; all because I came across the website of a LTC. It will take several more years, and several $$$, for my train layout to be completed. I’d love for that money to go directly to TLG, but they don’t have many sets that will go in my layout.

I want to laugh sometimes when I see yet another fire station come out. If I just bought sets from TLG, I would have like 7 fire stations in my town. I’d also have to buy two of them to assemble a building with four walls.

Lastly, I want to address another concern. There are only so many ways to build a model of a train, car, or whatever. Does TLG ever worry that a new design will be the same as a set that a community member has already built?

Sorry for any negative comments. Like many others, I think I feel very strongly about this. I do want to say thank you again for taking on this role and for being open to the community’s ideas and comments.

Thank you so much, Scott