 Trains / 29335
Re: 7996 Dual Crossover Available from US S@H
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2007 11:23:30 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Benn Coifman wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Didier Enjary wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, William R. Ward wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Jordan Schwarz wrote:
   The much rumored dual-crossover is now available from the US Shop At Home site,

http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=7996&cn=139&d=328

Huh. So one switch controls both main lines at once.

From the small picture in the box front, yes.

   I hope it’s a 3-position switch,

Again, from the box pictures, it is not.

   because otherwise you can’t have both main lines in straight mode....??

...right.

The geometry is not completely useless, it looks like you set the switches such that both tracks feed the same destination in a given direction (R or L). But if you always run on the righthand side, then you’d set the switches to the R exit (which would be the L entrance in the opposite direction, which by the righthand running is not typically used). The tran runs through the far point forcing it open.

Still, without 9v it is of limited use to me. Could be useful for making compact, unpowered yards to display 9v trains at LTC shows. You could even use an RC engine to switch cars while the 9v trains run the main lines.

Benn

Quoted from Brickish Assocation member James Shields

“I also got the new RC crossover points. They are interesting, but not quite as good as I hoped. Earlier reports suggested that the switch was a 3-way affair, but it only clicks at the extremities. It is possible to balance it in the middle, but that leaves both points slightly off centre, and I suspect this may lead to a wheel catching the point and switching it at a critical moment, causing a nasty derailment. If both tracks are running in dfferent directions, this shouldn’t be a problem, but if you want both running the same way, you could have problems. I am now looking for suitable materials for my 9v conversion attempt.”

Tim