 Star Wars / 2070
Re: is anyone else finding...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 10 May 1999 23:34:12 GMT

Bram Lambrecht wrote:

It was more than just a rumor, actually.  I'd call it an "account"
from a reliable source.  There is also rampant speculation on the • subject
too, of course, since the results of it are so clear.  It's *so* • wonderful
that the SW sets are not juniorized -- not even a BURP!

I just got the Droid Fighter, Naboo Fighter, Sith Infiltrator, Anakin's
Pod, and the Mos Espa Podrace. I built them in that order.  Reactions:

D.F.: Cool little set.. got it mainly for pieces.  Not really impressed
with the modeling of the actual ship, but it's coming apart anyway.

N.F.: Hmm, I bought this for the canopy (I've been wanting that rounded
canopy for 10 years).  Pretty lame model that really looks only
marginally like the actual ship.  I will be redesigning this and prolly
will post my version of the fix.  Cool battle droids... they are quite a
bit more frail than I thought they would be from the picture.  I like
that they are all standard clips... I'll be using the pieces a lot I
think.

S.I.: Actually, once it's built, it is not at all a bad set.  Quite a
bit more detail than I had thought.  Whoever chose the picture for the
box should be shot.  The cockpit is quite clunky, and I can see several
obvious ways to make it more like the ship in the movie, but as a
general lego model, I am quite impressed.  Why such a modular design?  I
like the cross-shaped-landing-pad-cockpit-roof piece... need more of
them.

A.P.: No surprises here... I bought the set because I wasn't content
with only 6 of those yellow airfoils in the Mos Espa set (hehehe, watch
out for those in future Pallas Spaceworks products).  Nice selection of
pieces and a generally well-rounded set.

M.E.P.: Having already built Anakin's Pod, I was expecting some pretty
straight forward building... Oh WOW!  I am SO impressed with Sebulba's
Pod!!!  What an Awesome design!  This is something that I would have
been proud to post as one of my own designs... The last time I was able
to say that about an official model... well, never.  It looks so COOL!.
And so many great pieces!  I am just gushing.  I keep zooming the thing
around! :-)  Deffinitely worth the price even without all the extra
figures.  What's up with the solid-figure?  pretty goofy.  They should
have used a monkey torso with a new head.

Anyway, as you can tell, I love the Podrace set.  I wish that Lego had
figured out how to do sets like this without Lucas breathing down their
necks... My fear is that when they see the huge sales of these sets,
they will think that it's only because they are Starwars and won't apply
these lessons to their other lines.  I hope that when this license is
over, they will have learned something about the virutes of complexity.

--Karim