 Star Wars / 2008
2007  |  2009
Subject:
Building exhaustion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.build
Date:
Sat, 8 May 1999 20:02:02 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, eric@nospam.thirteen.net (Lorbaat) writes:
[...] And I found that as I built the
sets- especially the Y-Wing/TIE and Podracer sets, I experienced a sort of...
umm, Lego building exhaustion.  Now, I'll grant you, in both cases I was
putting together all the sets in one marathon building session... but this
still worries me.  Have the new sets caused some sort of... attention span
deterioration in me for building?  [...]

I just thought of another thing -- little sets almost never tire me out --
and neither do little within a big set.  What really exhausts my brain is
the large building instruction booklets -- because I have to compare each
step with the previous step to see what's changed and if I've missed
anything.

When this means building up a base from the baseplate, it's not a big deal,
but when this means building a sub-structure and then placing the sub-
structure upon the main structure, it's no fun because that step of the
instructions often includes a few little pieces around the edges as well as
the substructure.  The pain of this type from building 6198 Sting Ray
Stormer is still fresh in my mind!  :-p

I like what many of the Technic instruction booklets do:  Give a list of
pieces needed for each step.  And I've seen some instructions even highlight
the pieces (by lightening the background around it) within the steps.

--Todd