 Storage / 259
Re: Piece sorting (was: building exhaustion)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Tue, 11 May 1999 07:55:11 GMT

   Hi,

   Apologies if my silly news reader messed up the quote
   attributions.  :(

Jonathan wrote:

In lugnet.starwars, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
Actually, I have thought about using the sort-by-original-set method, since
getting all the new SW sets. Before that, I used to sort by color, but with all
the older space sets I have, I have two big drawers for black pieces.

I did this until my black pieces were overflowing three drawers.  It just
got too difficult to find any piece I needed.

   Then I'm probably WAY too methodical.  I've got
   over 250 drawers, classified by element.  If there are
   too many for the little drawers, I then resort to colour.
   Standard plates and bricks get no such treatment,
   though; I just put rectangular bricks together and 1x/2x
   plates together.  Larger plates are in another large bin,
   incline pieces in yet another (reg and inverse are separate)
   and wing pieces get another large bin.  There are "midsize"
   bins for large elements like windshields, shrubs, masts,
   and so forth.  I'd say there are probably 20 or 30 bins
   and over 200 drawers in use.

   Minifigs are mounted on baseplates and sort of stand
   around--no good bin system exists.  I do have a little
   parts container for minifig accessories--the ones that
   could never be anything else, that is--and a little bag
   of broken bits, which is thankfully very small.

   The down side to having this classification system is
   that when the collection grows, the system needs to
   be updated and redivided (SW has caused this too,
   btw) and sometimes I forget where I put the drawer
   with (name element here), because it's never in the
   same place for more than a few months.  :(

   LFB.