 Storage / 257
Re: Piece sorting (was: building exhaustion)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Tue, 11 May 1999 04:45:33 GMT

Bram L wrote/:
I'm in the middle of changing from a color-based storage system to a
shape-based one.

When I first read about doing this it sounded like a great idea and I
resorted all my sorted-by-color bricks into sorted-by-size, mixed
colors. But when I tried to build, I hated it. The problem is that I
mostly do stuff which uses mostly one color, so the by-size system meant
that I had to have ALL the boxes within arms reach, not just a few for
the color in use, and also when I got to the last few bricks of a
specific color, it was a heck of a job finding them at the bottom of a
box of mixed colors. I went back to sorting by color almost immediately.
Since then my collection has expanded by a factor of about 10 in 4
months <g> and I now sort by color AND size, which solves the problem. I
now have a drawer for each color, with different sizes in separate
ziploc bags inside the drawer. Ideally, when I have a house and my dream
Lego Room, I will have one of those bins-on-brackets systems (probably
on a mobile shelving unit) so I can see and reach whatever I need right
away.

Kevin