 Star Wars / 2007
Re: is anyone else finding...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 8 May 1999 19:26:03 GMT

In lugnet.general, eric@nospam.thirteen.net (Lorbaat) writes:
[...]
and both days I discovered the same disturbing phenomenon:

I would look at the box, look at the size of the model, and some kind of
internal clock would set for how long I estimated it would take to build a
set.  Except for the smallest sets (landspeeder, lightsaber duel) my
instinctual clock was wrong across the board.  And I found that as I built
the sets- especially the Y-Wing/TIE and Podracer sets, I experienced a sort
of... umm, Lego building exhaustion.  Now, I'll grant you, in both cases I
was putting together all the sets in one marathon building session... but
this still worries me.  Have the new sets caused some sort of... attention
span deterioration in me for building?

I know what you mean.  I've always felt that way around Christmastime -- I
remember the Space Police II, Ice Planet, Spyrius years particularly well:
I built *all day* (the next day) and was horribly exhausted afterwards -- a
great Legophoria, but exhausted nonetheless.  :)

Has anyone else experienced a similar thing?  I never beleived it when it
came to TV or movies or stuff like that, but I can't think of what else it
might have been.

I think (for me) it comes from hunching over the instruction booklets --
which are shiny and always curling and hard to see sometimes.  It's also a
real PITA sometimes (for me) to put together a large set when the pieces
haven't been pre-sorted.  And I never have the discipline to pre-sort the
pieces on a set that I'm about to build -- only sorted when they go into the
storage bins later for real building projects.

It may just be an artifact of doing one thing in an uncomfortable position
for more than an hour.  It's so intense to build a cool set from
instructions -- hard for the brain to wander and relax and tell the body
that it's time to shift positions or get up and do something else for a bit.
That's my experience, anyway...

Another thing that pains me (not that I'm complaining :) is sets with
repeated constructs -- "2x on this or mirror on this" -- I generally don't
enjoy building something twice unless it's only a few steps.  I guess that's
one of the reasons I love the Blacktron Renegade and the Spyrius Saucer
Centurion so much -- because they're asymmetrical.

I remember not getting tired building the 6991 monorail, but getting very
tired building the 6982 Explorien Starship.

PS and did anyone else notice that the rock bit with the Gungan Sub was
a BURP built out of regular elements?  I have to wonder if the original
design used a BURP, but it got nixed somewhere along the way....

Wow!  That IS weird.  I wonder if it was Lucas's people who required the
BURP to be split up...(since some rumors reported that the LFL/TLG contract
required non-juniorization of sets...)

--Todd