 Storage / 256
Re: Piece sorting (was: building exhaustion)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Tue, 11 May 1999 01:45:37 GMT

Sproaticus wrote
Jonathan wrote:
So, any suggestions? How does everyone sort their pieces?
I ended up sorting mine by part function; e.g.:

small bricks, large bricks, small plates, large plates, Studs-Not-On-Top,
Minifig parts, Minifig accessories, etc...

This should probably go in the FAQ/Rool Call archive. Hmm, I've posted about
it before, but here goes:

Right now all my Lego is in four boxes. OK, four boxes and a few extra
bags - I got the Lego touring truck after I packed the boxes, so there
are some extra sets. And some pieces I found while packing everything
else up. Anyway, within the boxes everything is sorted as below, but
in ziplock bags. About 200 ziplock bags, to be precise :)

My collection is mostly Technic, with some ancillary parts. There are
a lot of yellow bricks sorted into gallon plastic cake box things,
one each for smaller than 1x6, 1x6 or longer, 2x2 and 2x3, 2x4, bigger
than 2x4, 2x2 and 2x3 not yellow, and 2x4 and bigger not yellow. There's
also one of those with odd bits in it - Technic turntables, digger
buckets, link-based tracks and chains, and so on.

There's a Mindstorms box full of wheels and tyres, but this is inside
one of the four boxes above. It's just convenient to have them held
separate.

I sort parts into groups that roughly fill one of the 3x3x3" compartments
in the larger Technic boxes. This is because I build wooden trays with
that size compartments in them :)

So I have groups for things like 1x1x1 Technic bushings, or 2x2 yellow
L plates. I sub-sort by colour, but only when there is a single part that
needs to be partitioned. I also mix disparate elements - I have gears and
axles in the same bin because it's easy to find either element in that
combination. For instance, 5 long axles go with 40T gears, and 2x1 bricks
with cross hole go in the 8 axle bin (because that bin is 12 and a bit
long (there is a row of three across the tray, with 10/12/8 axles in them)

Naturally I have a few bins of assorted parts, and some parts are in
larger bins - I have a single "trench" bin in one tray full
of Technic 1x16 beams, for example. Custom built containers have
advantages in this respect. Mixed parts I tend to go either for
disparate parts as above, or related parts - all my angled axle
joiners are in one bin (the #1..#5 ones).

I'll put up pictures and more noes on my web site, as it's easier to do
with pictures. NOTE that the website is in Australia now, so your
old bookmarks will not work any more.

Moz
--
moz1 at ihug either .com.au or .co.nz